Our original Applied Research & Technology Center established in 1998 was reorganized in July 2004 as the Center for Applied Research and Technology, Inc. (CART). CART, Inc., a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization, and its affiliates operate industrial design studios and laboratories in Bluefield, West Virginia to:
- Enhance the competitive position of the Bluefield State College (BSC) School of Engineering Technology (SET) and the City of Bluefield, West Virginia for applied research opportunities in the current environment for research and development;
- Promote the general economic development of the region through the Development Authority of the Greater Bluefield Area, Inc. (DAGBA);
- Improve the success rate for technology-based entrepreneurial business development in southern West Virginia and southwestern Virginia
- Link applied scientific research and technological advancements to economic development of the State of West Virginia.
CART is an independent, non-profit, non-stock corporation under the general corporation laws of the State of West Virginia organized exclusively for educational and scientific purposes;
- Designed to foster and support applied research in the Greater Bluefield Area, the City of Bluefield, and for engineering technology students, graduates, and faculty of the BSC SET.
- Provide evaluation, prototype development, product design and utility patenting support, management and marketing support services for the inventions and diverse service capabilities of the citizens of southern West Virginia and southwestern Virginia.